How to organize and decorate a manga / comic book room? The answer to this question is unique to each person and their collection.
There are many different types of manga rooms that have been created over the years. Some of them are very elaborate and expensive, while others are messy and weeb/otaku looking, or simple and minimalist.
If you are a manga comics buff, then you need a nice comic book room for your collections.
Here are some ideas for organizing and decorating a manga comic book room. Make your own manga comic book room with these steps:
Start with organizing all your manga books into 3 categories: 1) To be displayed, 2) To be stored, 3) To be donated.
Ask yourself about each book, what to keep and what to toss. Say temporary goodbye if you are in short of storage space. Donate any good manga books to your friends or cousins so you can still read them in the future at their homes.
Put manga books to be donated in proper boxes or bags after dusting and checking status.
Place manga books to be stored at locations that you can easily access after sorting.
You can also keep these manga books on the top of your bookshelf, but make sure you have sturdy shelving that is rated to hold the weight. You can also put books in storage containers then stack them. Make sure to optimize under-bed space.
Count the number of manga books to be displayed and start planning how much space is needed.
You can have a manga shelf, manga wall, manga reading corner or manga library room depending on the size of the collection and size of your home.
To keep your collection organized, you can use a desk that has built-in shelves, free-standing bookshelves, wall mount racks, wall cabinets or shelves built into the wall. You should leave some empty shelves for future expansion.
Find a specific area to store your manga.
Organize your manga by series, publisher, genre, authors, book spine color or even alphabetically.
Manga readers need to have an organized way to store and display their comics. You can, of course, also display your favorites to be most easily accessible.
Use bookshelf with glass door so the manga books become part of the room display.
Decorate the room with related items such as figurines, calendars, prints, manga/anime/comic book characters poster, wall stickers and other collectibles.
Designate a separate wall area for your large posters and prints in frames to be the focal point of the room.
Place the manga shelf near an outlet so you can read with a lamp instead of overhead lights.
Any manga fan will spend a lot of time in the manga room, so you need to keep the room well illuminated for reading.
Make sure the shelf is blocked from direct sunlight so your collection doesn’t get ruined.
This can be done by installing blackout curtains at the window or over the manga shelf.
Install a large screen TV mounted on the wall to play Anime movies.
Have a designated manga reading area.
You can easily create a comfortable manga reading nook in your living room, gaming room or bedroom with bean bags and a lamp. If you want to go full with the Japanese manga room aesthetic then you can also get a Japanese-style floor chair. Think of the best manga cafe rooms you visited or manga room tours you watched on Tiktok/Youtube, there are a lot of cozy ideas to copy!
Adding fairy light strings to the shelving can make the manga room more aesthetic.
This is a must to achieve the ultimate manga shelf aesthetic.
Make your manga room even more cozy with loads of soft throw pillows, rugs and cushions of matching theme.
It is important for manga fans to create a dream manga room that gives them ultimate comfort.
Clean frequently to keep the manga books in their best condition.
If you’re a manga fan, you’ll want to show off your collection in a neat setup. These ideas will help.
- Dust your room regularly.
- Clean often.
- Organize the room in sections, and target one section a day.
- Declutter shelves at least once a year.
- Create a functional, clutter-free area for reading.
- Open your windows at least once a day.
- Wash your sheets and laundry if you have a manga bedroom.
- Clean all upholstery.
- Turn on a dehumidifier.
- Spray room refreshers.
- Use room deodorizers.
- Grow beautiful indoor plants such as jasmine or lavender for natural fragrance.
Don’t forget to add a cool Illuminated LED signs of ‘Manga Room’ at the door.
The most joyful thing about having a manga room is letting yourself be loose, playful and a little bit silly.
What is a manga room?
The term “manga” is derived from the Japanese word 漫画, (katakana: マンガ; hiragana: まんが), which is composed of the two kanji 漫 (man) meaning “whimsical or impromptu” and 画 (ga) meaning “pictures.” The manga room is defined as a room for storing and displaying the manga collection by the fan. The room is usually filled with wall shelves with the perfect size to hold manga series, and room decorations of popular manga characters.
How to make your manga room cute and kawaii?
Creating your own manga room or manga library helps you to have a place to read and organize your manga book. Here is a massive list of cute things every manga fans want in the manga girl room:
- Faux fur area rug
- Cute wallpaper for your PC, laptop or phone screens
- Cute bookcases
- Kawaii floor chair or beanbag
- Kawaii desk setup
- Cute patterned light blocking curtains
- Plush and cozy cute bedding
- Cute plushies & stuffed animals of your favourite manga characters
- Fuzzy or soft throw pillows
- Neon signs of manga quotes or motto
- Starry night LED light string
- Indoor plants for relaxing the eyes after long term reading
- Real or fake vines or ivy
- Mini fridge and snacks
- Wire wall grid
- Poster or print wall
- Reading lamp
- A lot of shelves and cabinets for storage
- Glass cabinets for protecting valuable collections
- Massage gun for long term sitting
- Soft and warm pair of slipper
Where to get manga room decor?
You can find a lot of manga, anime or comic book-related accessory websites. In fact, most items can be purchased at a cheaper price on Amazon or eBay. If you want to buy manga room decorations at the lowest sale price (and do not care about copyright issues) then you can even explore sources like Shein, AliExpress or Wish.
Another good idea to support small businesses is to shop from your local game shop and anime stores. Or travel to Japan to buy the latest Japanese manga-themed decor from the famous Harajuku area of Tokyo.
If you are into handmade crafting and indie products, you can spend some hours in our DIY session or shop from Etsy to get inspiration.
Delivery time is usually the fastest when ordering from Amazon or local stores.
How can you make your manga room look kawaii without money?
A lot of the manga room makeover ideas were done without much money. If you want to set up your manga room cheap, there are a few ways to get started.
- Paint your furniture pink or pastel. This will also help to make your small apartment room looks bigger.
- Draw manga related patterns or details to the trims and doors.
- DIY decorations related to your favourite characters then display them.
- Put old T shirt with manga pattern to use for a chair cover, cushion, rug, curtain, or tablecloth.
- Display your cartoon cover, magazine prints, art pieces and collections.
- Hang your kawaii manga character tapestry, anime images, T-shirt on the wall as a visual focus.
- Shop flea markets, consignment stores, yard sales and Craigslist.
- Get kawaii goodies from friends by exchanging of stuffs you do not want anymore.
How to make a small manga bedroom look bigger?
Small bedrooms for manga fans need to incorporate functional furniture that can double as storage. The key to managing a small space is decluttering. You can also open the room by using mirrors and making more light colors that make the room feel bigger. Or set the room to be very dark, so all clutter fades out in the darkness when the light is off.
Here are some popular tricks to make any small bedroom of a manga fan appear to be more spacious:
- Consider bunk bed to get more floor area
- Go vertical and put shelves, collections and artworks on walls.
- Install shelves along the perimeter of your bedroom walls will help your manga room look bigger.
- Using soft and light colors can refresh any room
- Hang curtains closer to the ceiling that helps to create the illusion of taller and larger windows.
- Anchor the bedroom with several visual focal points so the room look more organised and themed.
- Allow for more open space and let in plenty of natural light.
- Simplify the room by maximizing your furniture layout.
- Declutter and hide the mess.
- Keep a consistent aesthetic and choice of style.
- Opt for smooth walls, floating shelves, clean lines and simple geometric decoration patterns with little linear details.
- Make plenty of storage under the bed.
- Create ambiance with lighting to give depth and a visual focus.
- Place mirrors and shiny reflective objects strategically to give the illusion of space. For example, you can position a mirror across from a window to reflect light into the space. Then use a series of small reflective items instead of one large mirror to bring light to every corner of the room.
What should be put on the manga room walls?
Decorating a manga-themed room offers a rare ability to blend all aspects of life and teenager memories. The expression of a unique personality is very important. You should pay extra attention to decorating the walls so that they will be seen from your streaming camera, and the wall in front of your eyes will be seen by you most of the time.
- Manga wall panels
- Manga contact paper
- Plenty of shelving
- Manga wallpaper for rooms
- Oversized wall décor related to your favourite manga characters
- Poster wall
- Anime themed wall collage
- Figurines & action figures
- Neon signs
- LED lighting
- Prints of manga motto, quotes or slogan
- Memo board with clips
- Magnetic board