Sanrio is a Japanese company that designs cute or kawaii characters for stationery, toys and other products. If you love Sanrio, there are lots of ways to incorporate your favorite cute characters into your home decor.
When you design your room based on the Sanrio characters, your room will be the happiest place on earth. Sanrio rooms are really cute and fun to personalize to your style. Sanrio rooms can be cute, trendy and stylish, here are 7 steps to get started:
Before anything else, you’ll want to narrow down your favorite Sanrio characters.
Sanrio rooms can be a fun way to add a theme to your home.
There are many different Sanrio characters to choose from, including Hello Kitty, Kuromi, Cinnamoroll, My Melody, Chococat and other adorable cartoon friends. You can focus on one character at a time, or if you’re a fan of many Sanrio characters, consider decorating each wall with a different character. If you prefer to mix the characters in your display style, then consider sorting them by color, size, product type or style (such as vintage, futuristic, girly etc).
If the room is for kids or teens, you can let them choose their favorite characters or designs as that will help them to develop their own style.
Create a color palette based on scenes of your favorite Sanrio characters.
Choosing and applying one main accent color for the room can help the Sanrio look more coordinated. In general, colors that work well in a Sanrio room include pastel pink, lavender, mint green, sage, bright white, bright yellow, bubblegum pink and baby blue. You can also use different color schemes for the living room, bedroom, playroom, gaming setup, bathroom and nursery decor/furniture. The bright colors, fun patterns and charming designs make it a fun theme to show off your character’s personality.
A bold color makes the room exciting while remaining cheerful. Start your planning by deciding the color of your bedsheets, couch cover, carpet, wall paint and curtains as these are the largest patch of colors in your room, and they will set the vibe of your interior. Throw pillows and wall hangings can also be used to add color.
Let your bed be the center of your Sanrio bedroom.
The Sanrio style tends to be colorful, sweet and playful. It is a perfect theme for bedrooms. With these pieces and tips, you can create a Sanrio bedroom that’s too cute to resist.
- Choose soft and calming colors for bedding (or those with your favorite Sanrio characters).
- If you’re going for a more subtle look, try using Sanrio-themed throw pillows or blankets for a pop of color.
- Design the ceiling so as to see the decor when you lay in bed. Glowing star is a trending idea on social media.
- Add a canopy for creating a calm private zone that is the best for sleeping.
- Indulge in layers of linens of different textures.
- Have layers of plush pillows and blankets to add depth.
- Let fairy light string, vines and ivy climb on your bed frame.
- Throw an area rug of your favorite Sanrio characters at the side of the bed.
- Get a consistent color theme and decorating style for the bed and the room.
- Adjust your settings to shut out tech when it is time to rest.
Make storage cute with cubby organizers or shelving that features Sanrio characters.
Sanrio fans can’t stop collecting new items of their favorite character. Here are some useful tips on how to keep your Sanrio collection organized, clean and well displayed.
- Once a year, ask yourself about each item, what to keep and what to toss.
- Donate any good items you do not want anymore.
- Properly pack your items in boxes, then stack them in storage containers.
- Dust your collection regularly.
- Clean the room often.
- Install shelves along the perimeter of your room to make the room look bigger.
- Hang a clothes rack in the corner to display your Sanrio bag, jacket and outfit accessories.
- Use your radiator for shelf space.
- Optimize under-bed space for storage.
- Go vertical and put shelves, collections and artworks on walls.
- Organize the room in sections, and target one section a day.
- Declutter closets.
- Create a functional, clutter-free area for reading/study/work/online learning area.
- Get glass shelves for proper display.
- Pay attention to lighting and humidity control as they can damage delicate vintage posters or even fade the color of plastic figurines. Turn on a dehumidifier and use light blocking curtains if you are a serious collector.
- Wash your sheets and laundry frequently.
- Clean all upholstery regularly.
- Spray room refreshers and use room deodorizers.
Decorating with Sanrio accessories is one of the easiest ways to add flair to a room and it’s also easy to change out over time.
A Sanrio-themed room can be done very simply, with a few choice items, or in an over-the-top manner. You might choose to splurge on a single high-end piece, for example, if you find a really great deal on something vintage. Or you can fill the room with many small Sanrio items and prints from magazines.
Here is a massive list of cute things every Sanrio fans need in the room
- Miniature Sanrio rooms
- Faux fur area rug
- Cute gaming PC or laptop setup
- Cute wallpaper for your screen
- Kawaii gaming accessories
- Kawaii Sanio gamer chair
- Cute dual shock
- Cute smartwatch
- Kawaii desk setup
- Gauzy or patterned light blocking curtains
- Plushies and cozy pink bedding
- Cute plushies & stuffed animals
- Hanging fringe
- Fuzzy or soft throw pillows
- Instant Polaroid camera
- Moon Lamp
- Neon signs of your nicknames, funny quotes or gaming motto
- Starry night LED light string
- Indoor plants
- Real or fake vines or ivy
- Mini fridge
- Featured makeup mirror
- Wireless headphones with cute animal ears
- Wire wall grid
- A dedicated gaming space
- A nice set of kawaii hangers for your hat, accessories and cute fashion
- Poster or postcard wall
- A comfortable mattress
- Ample & layered lighting
- A private nook
- A lot of shelves and cabinets for storage
- Glass cabinets for protecting valuable collections
Get one vintage piece for your favorite Sanrio character.
Vintage posters from the 1970s are some of the most sought-after Sanrio decor pieces today. You can also look for framed original drawings or rare vintage stationery sets in online auctions, comic book stores and flea markets.
Make sure to make the best use of the walls of your Sanrio room.
Decorating the walls offers a rare ability to blend all aspects of life. The expression of a unique personality is very important. You should pay extra attention to decorating the walls so that they will be seen from your streaming camera, and the wall in front of your eyes will be seen by you most of the time. Here are some ideas of how to decorate the walls of your Sanrio room.
- Plenty of shelving
- Oversized wall décor
- Poster wall
- Postcard wall
- Photo wall
- Figurines & action figures
- Neon signs
- LED lighting
- Prints of life motto
- Memo board with clips or ribbon
- Magnetic board
What is Sanrio?
Sanrio (also known as the Sanrio Corporation) is a Japanese company that designs and sells pop culture merchandise.
Sanrio has been around since 1960. The company is known for its characters like Hello Kitty, Keroppi, and Chococat. In recent years, Sanrio has gained a lot of popularity in the Western world. Although Sanrio has been around for decades, it has become trendy in 2019 with the rise of people wearing Sanrio merchandise as fashion statements.
How are Sanrio characters?
Sanrio creates cute characters that are often animals or humans with animal features. The most famous of these is Hello Kitty. Sanrio characters often have a relatable backstory, which you can read on the company’s website. While Sanrio characters are associated with pastel colors and rainbows, they can come in all sorts of styles—from cartoons to 3D renderings.
What are the most popular Sanrio room themes?
Sanrio is a versatile brand, here are some of the most popular aesthetic Sanrio room themes:
- Hello Kitty Room
- Gudetama Room
- Pompompurin Room
- Keroppi Room
- Cinnamoroll Room
- My Melody Themed Room
- Kuromi Themed Room
- My Little Twin Stars Room
How to make a small Sanrio bedroom look bigger?
Small bedrooms for Sanrio fans need to incorporate functional furniture that can double as storage. The key to managing a small space is decluttering. You can also open the room by using mirrors and making more light colors that make the room feel bigger. Or set the room to be very dark, so all clutter fades out in the darkness when the light is off. To organize your figure display better, don’t forget to check out our guide!
Here are some popular tricks to make any small bedroom of Sanrio fans appear to be more spacious:
- Consider a bunk bed to get more floor area
- Using soft and light colors can refresh any room
- Hang curtains closer to the ceiling that helps to create the illusion of taller and larger windows.
- Anchor the bedroom with several visual focal points so the room looks more organized and themed.
- Allow for more open space and let in plenty of natural light.
- Simplify the room by maximizing your furniture layout.
- Declutter and hide the mess.
- Keep a consistent aesthetic and choice of style.
- Opt for smooth walls, floating shelves, clean lines and simple geometric decoration patterns with little linear details.
- Make plenty of storage under the bed.
- Create ambiance with lighting to give depth and a visual focus.
- Place mirrors and shiny reflective objects strategically to give the illusion of space. For example, you can position a mirror across from a window to reflect light into the space. Then use a series of small reflective items instead of one large mirror to bring light to every corner of the room.
How to make your Sanrio room look kawaii without money?
A lot of the Sanrio room makeover ideas were done without much money. Here are several ways to copy
- Paint your furniture pink or pastel. This will also help to make your small room looks bigger.
- Draw kawaii patterns, details or Sanrio scenes to the trims and doors for decoration.
- DIY Sanrio character decorations then display them.
- Put old bright color fabric swatches to use for a couch cover, cushion, rug, curtain, or tablecloth.
- Display your Sanrio cartoon cover, magazine prints, art pieces and collections.
- Hang your Sanrio tapestry, anime images, and T-shirt on the wall as a visual focus.
- Shop flea markets, consignment stores, yard sales and Craigslist.
- Get kawaii Sanrio goodies from friends by exchanging stuff you do not want anymore.
Where to get kawaii Sanrio room decor?
You can buy from the official Sanrio store, or find a lot of other kawaii Sanrio accessory websites. In fact, most items can be purchased at a cheaper price on Amazon or eBay. If you want to buy cute kawaii Sanrio room decorations at the lowest sale price (and do not care about copyright issues) then you can even explore sources like Shein, AliExpress or Wish.
Another good idea to support small businesses is to shop from your local game shop and anime stores. Or travel to Japan to buy the latest Japanese Sanrio room decor from the famous Harajuku area of Tokyo.
If you are into handmade crafting, ethnic outfits and indie products, you can spend some hours in our DIY session to get inspiration or shop from Etsy.
Delivery time is usually the fastest when ordering from Amazon or local stores.